Monday, December 5, 2011

Excruciating Pain

I've never truly known what pain was until these past two weeks. I'm not talking about the emotional pain you get when your dumped by your girlfriend or something, none of that emo crap. I'm talking about raw physical pain. A couple weeks ago I was in the shower and I slipped on the tiles, due to them being wet, I did not slip down, I was about to but I manage to get back my footing, but in the process I twist my left leg and I felt a popping sensation in my lower thigh. Immediately it felt like a mild sprain. I limped a little after, I thought nothing of it because I have twisted my foot before and sprained it and it'll last a couple hours or a day the most. This was a Monday, I went to work after, limped my way to the bus and sat. On the commute to Belmopan however I noticed my leg started to hurt and the sensation started to spread throughout the entire leg, the only thing that would alleviate the pain was sitting with all my weight on that one leg.

I made it to work, for some reason when I'm seated it doesn't hurt as much but as soon as I stand or try to walk all hell breaks loose. I tried to stretch my leg, I went into the back lab where no one could see me, I sat on the desk and tried to lay down on my back, it was painful to keep my leg straight. Instantly I knew something was wrong. I couldn't even get up on my own. I think I yelled a bit from the pain of just getting back up. By the time it was time to go back home my whole leg was just pulsating from pain. Like I said sitting on the leg itself would alleviate the pain somewhat, to where it was at least bearable. I sat on one of the seats on the bus alone took the whole chair up with my leg. I called my brother to come pick me up in my car I didn't think I could manage to walk. I got home, sat on my bed and rested. I still couldn't lay down without it hurting like hell and I couldn't fall asleep sitting down on the corner of my bed with my feet hanging as it was the only position that made me feel good. I limped my ass down the stairs and into my car and sat in the driver seat and called it my bed for the night. I woke up around 4 am and Jesus Christ it hurt even more. I decided this needed to be looked at by a professional and this was no mere leg sprain.

I went to the emergency room that morning, found out I tore a ligament. Got some heavy duty pain injections to the leg, and It was enough for me to finally have a good night's rest. I was given two weeks off work, and enough pain meds to keep a hippo groggy. This is my third week, I'm back to work, still limping, still on pain meds but it doesn't hurt like it did that first week. I never want to feel that sort of pain again. My left foot is so swollen it doesn't fit in my shoe anymore... ha. I hope everything is fine in time for Christmas. Once in a while a shocking pain will shoot up my leg just to remind me its still there.

3 comments:

Girl From Ipanema said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl From Ipanema said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl From Ipanema said...
This comment has been removed by the author.