Sunday, November 11, 2007

Biometrics

I decided on a topic for my research paper, kinda like a thesis for bachelors sorta thing? Anyhow its on Biometrics.

Biometrics is the study of physical identification, such as fingerprints, iris scanning, palm vein identification, voice verification, etc.

We were suppose to pick something that IT could influence and in Belize. I think Freeze is doing something with GPS tracking for business' vehicles; a very good idea to implement in Belize for corporations too I might add. Need to know where this Rasta man driving your car.

So yes Biometrics is a very broad topic so my hypothesis is narrowed down to, me thinking it would be feasible for Belize to implement a AFIS or CODIS system. AFIS deals with fingerprints (automated fingerprint identification system) and CODIS with DNA (Combined DNA identification system). I think that Belize's justice system would greatly improve with such a system in placed. Yes I know, its pretty expensive but if we could just launch with a AFIS system, we don't need to go high tech into DNA just yet.

From what I understand, although to be convicted of a crime you must have "undeniable proof", here in Belize people are convicted purely on eye witness and hearsay and I just think that is a load of crap! I mean what the $%#, seriously. We cant even read fingerprints... if we had something like this that bitch from Mirab wouldn't have gotten away with murder because he's rich, as someone once told me ... " a lil' proof goes a long way".

Anyhow, I could be going about this all the wrong way and end up with a resounding F, ha. Hopefully I can work something up.

All I know about biometrics for the time being is the lil fingerprint scanner I have for my desktop to login haha. I bought it ages ago to block my brother out, I have passwords for everything on my system, login... websites.... internet access... you name it and that lil' sucker makes my life easier because instead of having to type up passwords every so often I just have to swipe mah fingah!

Imagine how safer Belize would be if something so simple was in place.

7 comments:

Leonardo Melendez said...

Be real, Belize wouldn't be much safer with Biometrics, think about it. For one, it would result in a revolutionized smartara Rastaman and two the cost of implementation doesn't sound too convincing. If you're trying to make this present-day Belize a safer place, you're barking up the wrong tree with Biometrics. Too many things need to fall into place before this. Tell me if I'm wrong.

My laptop got stolen a few months ago. When the Po-Po got there, them fellas pull out a camera and a kit to take pictures and collect fingerprint traces. I was surprised and had to ask. Seems like Belize police do take evidence!

Domanick Fabro said...

gotta start somewhere, and if small countries like Barbados and Jamaica can have one implemented I don't see why we can't. Of course, nothing you do will ever make someplace safe, not even with Jedis about!

I'm afraid though that its people with your negative attitude that hinders the process... just saying.

As for taking fingerprints and stuff,its not done everywhere. The interviews of done with offices told me the capital and some other places do it, but they just keep it "should in case". No fingerprint expert... nada

Domanick Fabro said...

***Interviews I've done with officers

Domanick Fabro said...

oh by the way i don't know if i mentioned it but the main object of the thesis was not to make belize safe but the justice system more viable.

Leonardo Melendez said...

Viable? Barbados, Jamaica? One size does not fit all.

Biometrics is a great idea. Come to think of it, if someone killed me thirty years ago and you could find the s.o.b. today that would be a milestone in our justice system. But, at the end of the day, your paper won't be of maximum effect if measures of implementation aren't taken into place. For instance, let's build a Walmart or a GameStop in the capital. Great idea. Unfortunately, there are too many factors involved to make a concept like this readily plausible. Hope you catch my drift.

I won't belittle or champion your thesis without enough facts and ideas. A good draft to convince me would be nice thank you. I'm just trying to help you build a better paper.

Domanick Fabro said...

@leo - lmao @ gamestop... We so need one. I actually appreciate your criticism very much, so thank you. It had me thinking a lot about my angle on the project etc. And you are right about the additional complications that come with every life changing event. My paper might just be for school and for my to get my degree, but I would hope that someday something happens.

I was speculating that if we proposed the project to the PM he would probably approve it and steal maybe half the money from the fundings... but we would eventually catch him from his fingerprint trails... hahahaha.

Leonardo Melendez said...

> My paper might just be for school and for me to get my degree, but I would hope that someday something happens.

Right on, be high-impact all the time.