Saturday, November 17, 2007

Reliving the GLORY days

Have you ever noticed how inanimate objects are forever tied to a memory? I do, almost always. I am a collector and destroyer of memories. I've been rummaging through my room and I came across a cupboard, I have that holds things I never use. Note blanks from primary school, books I've read, games I've beaten or that are obsolete, pictures...they all reel back in a memory as clear as day.

Sometimes memories are as sharp as daggers that pierce into the thoughts of today. Some bring back bad, bad feelings... but I keep them because it makes me feel alive; and sometimes they are just worth remembering.

Memories Sharp as daggers

The eye patch - I remember thinking I was dead, when I saw that cane truck coming at me head on. God I hate drunks... and it happening in O-Walk just made it all the more pleasant.
The watch - primary school graduation present from my uncle.
Cop shades - she looked so goofy in them. She forgot it and I haven't been able to give it back yet.
The lighter - my sweet smelling cancer sticks. I gave this to her since we were both chimneys. However on that faithful day she had to give it back, they didn't allow them on airplanes anymore. I remember the airport, and the goodbyes
The earrings - my very first pair. 1.5cm in diameter.. 0.25cm thick. The hole is still embedded in my ear from it being so thick.
Game boy SP game - The legend of Zelda: Minish cap. Funnest game boy game I've played... it was a present from her. I remember her being ticked off at me because I was beating the game at a very fast pace and it took her longer, haha.
The pendant - I was very much in turmoil and anguish at the exact moment in my life when I came across this thing glowing on the floor. It reminds me of what I've been through.
Rings - I had a ring for every finger back in my adolescence. I'll admit I was very eccentric then. I remember how different and darker I was. Believe it or not I am peppy now.
The tag that says SID - I remember the raccoon looking ferret i bought for Eli. He was ecstatic, I never got a chance to get the tag itself to him. Things went sour.

Off course this was just a tiny example, I have many habits. I collect all tickets I get either from watching movies at the theater, football matches for Juventus (team my family owns), stubs etc. I keep em in a tiny pocket in my wallet. The movie tickets are in abundance, and from all over. Its funny too, which objects bring back that specific memory. I guess its the mind that choses it, "hey buddy, from now on your gonna remind me of ..". haha, I think I remember too much, way too much, too much on my mind, too much in my life but I can't get enough of it. FEED ME!

The most fun about these things are when you rediscover them, all the thoughts and feeling rushing back into you like a cold chill down your spine that triggers a involuntary flinch in your body. We are bounded to our past, no matter what and its with these lil' tokens that we make remembering the worthy all the more easier.

My beautiful collection, I will never part with them. Oh how it grows...

4 comments:

Leonardo Melendez said...

Some people will throw away memories shift+delete style. I can't do that. Like you, I collect them. They provide enlightenment and personal growth and also serve as landmarks in the timeline of our lives.

Everything has a reason why said...

hmnn.. weird... i am a collector too.. i have soo many things.. i have dairies from every since i could write.... i know about the bad memories..but what doesn't kill you will make you stronger!

Anonymous said...

honey i think most people have a collection. I've got any movie stubs that are special to me random photos random words on random pages haha so far i've got 5 shoe boxes full of memories.

will we have our own shoe box?

Beth said...

I can't keep my room clean because it is full of either unattached things I think are pretty or things that help me remembered. I hope to move soon so I am trying to sort things out and throw about mementos that I would be happier without.